- Okamiya H & Kishida O (2022) Proximate stimuli: An overlooked driving force for anti-predator reactions affecting interactions in aquatic ecosystems. Population Ecology (Accepted)
- Futamura R, Morita K, Kanno Y ＆ Kishida O (2022) Size-selective mortality occurs in smolts during a seaward migration, but not in river residents, in masu salmon (Oncorhynchus masou). Environmental Biology of Fishes (Online early) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10641-022-01213-z
- Futamura R, Morita K, Kanno Y, Kumikawa S, Matsuoka Y, Okuda A, Sugiyama H, Takahashi H, Uchida J & Kishida O (2022) Size-dependent growth tactics of a partially migratory fish before migration. Oecologia (Accepted)
- Mizumoto H, Kishida O, Takai K, Matsuura N & Araki H (2022) Utilizing environmental DNA for wide-range distributions of reproductive area of an invasive terrestrial toad in Ishikari river basin in Japan. Biological Invasions (Online early) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10530-021-02709-y
- Uno H, Yokoi M, Fukushima K, Kanno Y, Kishida O, Mamiya W, Sakai R & Utsumi S (2022) Spatially variable hydrological and biological processes shape diverse post-flood aquatic communities. Freshwater Biology (Online early). https://doi.org/10.1111/fwb.13862
- Ross S, Molinos J, Okuda A, Johnstone J, Atsumi K, Futamura R, Williams M, Matsuoka Y, Uchida J, Kumikawa S, Sugiyama H, Kishida O & Donohue I (2022) Predators mitigate the destabilising effects of heatwaves on multitrophic stream communities. Global Change Biology 28:403-416. doi.org/10.1111/gcb.15956
- Futamura R, Morita K, Araki K, Ayumi M, Kumikawa S, Matsuoka Y, Okuda A, Sugiyama H, Takahashi H, Takahashi T, Uchida J & Kishida O (2021) Occurrence of mature male white-spotted charr (Salvelinus leucomaenis) in spring, an unusual season. Ichthyological Research 69:194–196. doi.org/10.1007/s10228-021-00823-4
- Kanno Y, Harris A, Kishida O, Utsumi S & Uno H (2021) Complex effects of body length and condition on within-tributary movement and emigration in stream salmonids. Ecology of Freshwater Fish (Online early). doi.org/10.1111/eff.12632
- Okamiya H, Sugime R, Furusawa C, Inoue Y & Kishida O (2021) Paedomorphosis in the Ezo salamander (Hynobius retardatus) rediscovered after almost 90 years. Zoological Letters 7:14. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40851-021-00183-x
- Okamiya H, Inoue Y, Takai K, Crossland M & Kishida O (2021) Native frogs (Rana pirica) do not respond adaptively to alien toads (Bufo japonicus formosus) 100 years after introduction. Ecological Research 36:1005-1014. doi.org/10.1111/1440-1703.12259
- Okamiya H, Tagami M, Crossland M & Kishida O (2021) Are toxic effects of alien species affected by their prey? Evaluation by bioassay with captive-bred toad embryos and a vulnerable predator. Hydrobiologia 848:4445–4452. doi.org/10.1007/s10750-021-04650-6
- Fitzgerald K, Haworth M, Bestgen K, Farrell C, Utsumi S, Kishida O, Uno H & Kanno Y (2021) Hatching timing of two subarctic salmonids in a stream network estimated by otolith increments spatial scales. Fisheries Management and Ecology 28:507-515
- Okamiya H, Takai K & Kishida O (2021) The Japanese common toad, Bufo japonicus formosus, contains toxin in the egg stage. Current Herpetology 40:103-106
- Katayama N, Kishida O, Miyoshi C, Hayakashi S, Ito K, Sakai R, Naniwa A, Takahashi H, Takagi K (2020) Demography and productivity during the recovery time sequence of a wild edible bamboo after large-scale anthropogenic disturbance. PLoS ONE 15: e0243089
- Matsunami M., Miura T., Kishida O., Michimae H. & Nishimura K. (2020) Expression of genes involved in offensive and defensive phenotype induction in the pituitary gland of the Hokkaido salamander (Hynobius retardatus). Zoological Science 37:563-574.
- Takatsu K & Kishida O (2020) Enhanced recruitment of larger predators in the presence of large prey. Journal of Animal Ecology 89:1615-1627.
- Atsumi K & Kishida O (2020) Prospective interspecies interaction between Siberian and Ezo salamander larvae. Ecological Research 35:533–539.
- Meguro N, Kishida O, Utsumi S, Niwa S, Igarashi S, Kozuka C, Naniwa A & Sato T (2020) Host phenologies and the life history of horsehair worms (Nematomorpha, Gordiida) in a mountain stream in northern Japan. Ecological Research 35:482-493.
- Kanno Y, Yui N, Mamiya W, Sakai R, Yabuhara Y, Miyazaki T, Utsumi S, Kishida O & Uno H (2020) A multi-state mark-recapture approach to characterize stream fish movement at multiple spatial scales. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 77:1090-1100.
- Oyake N, Sasaki N, Yamaguchi A, Fujita H, Tagami M, Ikeya K, Takagi M, Kobayashi M, Abe H & Kishida O (2020) Comparison of susceptibility to a toxic alien toad (Bufo japonicus formosus) between predators in its native and invaded ranges. Freshwater Biology 65:240-252.
- Kazila E & Kishida O (2019) Foraging traits of native predators determine their vulnerability to a toxic alien prey. Freshwater Biology 64:56-70
- Atsumi K, Kishida O & Koizumi I (2019) Visual preference of males for conspecific mates in mutually ornamented fish: possible support for the species recognition hypothesis. Journal of Ethology 37:353-362
- Terada C, Kwon T, Kazahari N, Kishida O & Utsumi S (2019) Long-term fauna and flora records of the experimental forests of the Forest Research Station of Hokkaido University, Japan. Ecological Research 34: 349 (data paper)
- Takatsu K, Rudolf V & Kishida O (2017) Giant cannibals drive selection for inducible defense in heterospecific prey. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 120:675–684.
- Hattori M, Kishida O & Itino T (2017) Soldiers with large weapons behave aggressively against predators: correlated morphological and behavioral defensive traits in a eusocial aphid. Insectes Sociaux 64:39-44.
- Ushio M, Fukuda H, Inoue T, Makoto K, Kishida O, Sato K, Murata K, Nikaido M, Sado T, Sato Y, Takeshita M, Iwasaki W, Yamanaka H, Kondoh M & Miya M (2017) Environmental DNA enables detection of terrestrial mammals from forest pond water. Morecluar Ecology Resources 17:e63-e75
- Katayama N, Kobayashi M & Kishida O (2016) An aquatic vertebrate can utilize amino acids from environmental water. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 283:20160996
- Toju H, Kishida O, Katayama N & Takagi K (2016) Networks depicting the fine-scale co-occurrences of fungi in soil horizons. PLoS ONE 11:e0165987
- Yamaguchi A, Takatsu K & Kishida O (2016) Contacts with large, active individuals intensify the predation risk of small conspecifics. Ecology 97:3206-3218.
- Yamaguchi A & Kishida O (2016) Antagonistic indirect interactions between large and small conspecific prey via a heterospecific predator. Oikos 125:271-277.
- Yamaguchi A & Kishida O (2016) Wintering larvae of Hyniobius retardatus salamander can consume prey invertebrates under very low temperatures. Salamandra 52:45-47.
- Katayama N, Kishida O, Sakai R, Hayakashi S, Miyoshi C, Ito K, Naniwa A, Yamaguchi A, Wada K, Kowata S, Koike Y, Tsubakimoto K, Ohiwa K, Sato H, Miyazaki T, Oiwa S, Oka T, Kikuchi S, Igarashi C, Chiba S, Akiyama Y, Takahashi H & Takagi K (2015) Response of a wild edible plant to human disturbance: harvesting can enhance the subsequent yield of bamboo shoots. PLoS ONE 10: e0146228.
- Matsunami M, Kitano J, Kishida O, Michimae H, Miura T & Nishimura K (2015) Transcriptome analysis of predator- and prey-induced phenotypic plasticity in the Hokkaido salamander (Hynobius retardatus). Molecular Ecology 24:3064-3076.
- Costa Z & Kishida O (2015) Nonadditive impacts of temperature and basal resource availability on predator-prey interactions and phenotypes. Oecologia 178:1215-1225.
- Takatsu K & Kishida O (2015) Predator cannibalism can intensify negative impacts on heterospecific prey. Ecology 96:1887–1898.
- Mori T, Yanagisawa Y, Kitani Y, Sugiyama M, Kishida O & Nishimura K (2015) Gene expression profiles in Rana pirica tadpoles following exposure to a predation threat. BMC Genomics 16:258.
- Kishida O, Tezuka A, Ikeda A, Takatsu K & Michimae H (2015) Adaptive acceleration in growth and development of salamander hatchlings in cannibalistic situation. Functional Ecology 29:469-478.
- Takatsu K & Kishida O (2015) Allometric equations for estimation of energy contents from body length for common amphibians (Hynobius retardatus and Rana pirica) in Hokkaido, Japan. Herpetology Notes 8:187-191.
- Nosaka M, Katayama N & Kishida O (2015) Feedback between size balance and consumption strongly affects the consequences of hatching phenology in size-dependent predator–prey interactions. Oikos 124:225-234.
- Michimae H, Tezuka A, Emura T & Kishida O (2014) Environment-dependent trade-offs and evolution of phenotypic plasticity in metamorphic timing. Evolutionary Ecology Research 16: 617–629.
- Aguilos M, Takagi K, Liang N, Ueyama M, Fukuzawa K, Nomura M, Kishida O, Fukazawa T, Takahashi H, Kotsuka C, Sakai R, Ito K, Watanabe Y, Fujinuma Y, Takahashi Y, Murayama T, Saigusa N & Sasa K (2014) Dynamics of ecosystem carbon balance recovering from a clear-cutting in a cool-temperate forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 197:26-36.
- Kishida O, Costa Z, Tezuka A & Michimae H (2014) Inducible offenses affect predator-prey interactions and life history plasticity in both predators and prey. Journal of Animal Ecology 83:899-906.
- Katayama N, Silva A, Kishida O, Ushio M, Kita S & Ohgushi T (2014) Herbivorous insect decreases plant nutrient uptake: role of soil nutrient availability and association of below-ground symbionts. Ecological Entomology 39: 511-518.
- Hattori M, Kishida O & Itino T (2013) Soldiers with large weapons in predator-abundant midsummer: reproductive plasticity in a eusocial aphid. Evolutionary Ecology 27:847–862.
- Katayama N, Silva A, Kishida O & Ohgushi T (2013) Aphids decelerate litter nitrogen mineralization through changes in litter quality. Ecological Entomology 38:627-630.
- Kishida O & Tezuka A (2013) Overwintered Hynobius retardatus salamander larvae can induce defensive bulgy morph in Rana pirica tadpoles. Herpetology Notes 6: 183-185.
- Takatsu K & Kishida O (2013) An offensive predator phenotype selects for an amplified defensive phenotype in its prey. Evolutionary Ecology 27:1-11.
- Hattori M, Kishida O & Itino T (2013) Buying time for colony mates: the anti-predatory function of soldiers in the eusocial aphid Ceratovacuna japonica (Homoptera, Hormaphidinae). Insectes Sociaux 60:15-21.
- Mori T, Kitani Y, Ogihara J, Sugiyama M, Yamamoto G, Kishida O, Nishimura K (2012) Histological and MS spectrometric analyses of the modified tissue of bulgy form tadpoles induced by salamander predation. Biology Open 1:308-317.
- Kishida O, Trussell GC, Ohno A, Kuwano S, Ikawa T & Nishimura K (2011) Predation risk suppresses the positive feedback between size-structure and cannibalism. Journal of Animal Ecology 80:1278-1287.
- Mougi A., Kishida O. & Iwasa Y. (2011) Coevolution of phenotypic plasticity: why are inducible offenses rarer than inducible defenses? Evolution 65:1079-1087.
- Kishida O, Trussell GC, Mougi A & Nishimura K (2010) Evolutionary ecology of inducible morphological plasticity in predator-prey interaction: toward the practical links with population ecology. Population Ecology 52:37-46.
- Kishida O, Trussell GC, Nishimura K & Ohgushi T (2009) Inducible defenses in prey intensify predator cannibalism. Ecology 90:3150-3158.
- Kishida O, Trussell GC & Nishimura K (2009) Top-down effects on antagonistic inducible defense and offence. Ecology 90:1217-1226.
- Mougi A & Kishida O (2009) Reciprocal phenotypic plasticity can lead to stable predator-prey interaction. Journal of Animal Ecology 78:1172-1181.
- Mori T, Kawachi H, Imai C, Sugiyama M, Kurata Y, Kishida O & Nishimura K. (2009) A novel uromodulin-like gene relating predator induced bulgy morph of tadpoles by functional microarray. PLoS ONE 4:e5936.
- Kishida O, Trussell GC & Nishimura K (2007) Geographic variation in a predator-induced defense and its genetic basis. Ecology 88:1948-1954.
- Iwami T, Kishida O & Nishimura K (2007) Direct and indirect induction of a compensatory phenotype that alleviates the costs of an inducible defense. PLoS ONE 2:e1084.
- Kishida O, Mizuta Y & Nishimura K (2006) Reciprocal phenotypic plasticity in a predator-prey interaction between larval amphibians. Ecology 87:1599-1604.
- Kishida O & Nishimura K (2006) Flexible architecture of inducible morphological defenses. Journal of Animal Ecology 75:705-712.
- Mori T, Hiraka I, Kurata Y, Kawachi H, Kishida O & Nishimura K (2005) Genetic basis of phenotypic plasticity for predator-induced morphological defenses in anuran tadpole, Rana prirca, using cDNA subtraction and microarray analysis. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 330:1138-1145.
- Kishida O & Nishimura K (2005) Multiple inducible defenses against multiple predators. Evolutionary Ecology Research 7:619-631.
- Kishida O & Nishimura K (2004) Bulgy tadpoles: inducible defense morph. Oecologia 140:414-421.
- Nishimura K & Kishida O (2001) Coupling of two competitive systems via density dependent migration. Ecological Research 16:359-368.